Neonatal respiratory distress syndrome, also referred to as infant respiratory distress syndrome is characterized by a particular condition often observed in premature babies, usually born about six weeks before their due dates. During this condition, lungs of the premature infants lose the ability to produce enough surfactants in order to provide oxygen to the body. Surfactants are liquids made up of fat and proteins and it helps the lungs to remain inflated so that infants can breathe in and out immediately after their birth. Hence, the prime cause for the prevalence of neonatal respiratory distress syndrome is the lack of surfactant in the lungs. Various signs and symptoms associated with neonatal respiratory distress syndrome are as follows:
- Grunting respiration
- Flaring nostrils
- Blue-colored lips, fingers and toes
- Sharp pulling in the chest
- Rapid breathing
Based on the treatments and mediations, the neonatal respiratory distress syndrome market can be segmented as follows:
- Surfactant Replacement Therapy: The infants who suffer from respiratory distress syndrome are given surfactant through a breathing tube. Surfactants are administered until the lungs start to make the substance on their own.
- Oxygen Therapy: Infants with severe breathing problems are given oxygen therapy through a ventilator or NCPAP machine, i.e., nasal continuous positive airway pressure. This therapy ensures that there is a sufficient supply of oxygen to the infant in order to breathe effectively.
- Supportive Therapy: Supportive therapy helps the premature infants to meet their basic needs of nutrition and protection. For instance, use of incubator to keep the baby warm, and fluids and nutrients intake through needles inserted into the needle’s veins.
- Other treatments: Other treatments include drugs and therapeutics to cure neonatal respiratory distress syndrome. Example, surfaxin (lucinactant), which was approved in March, 2012 by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of infant respiratory distress syndrome.
Based on geography, the neonatal respiratory distress market can be segmented into four major regions: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Rest of the World. Out of these regions, North America dominates the neonatal respiratory distress market followed by Europe. The prime reasons which have driven the growth of this market in these regions are high prevalence of respiratory disorders in infants and increasing genetic problems with lung development. According to a survey, neonatal respiratory distress syndrome is estimated to affect around 20,000-30,000 infants each year in the United States. Asia Pacific is the most promising market for the growth of neonatal respiratory distress syndrome market as there are many developing regions that are growing at a steady pace. The major factors which will propel the growth of this market in Asia Pacific are high birth rate, increasing awareness related to the complications of respiratory distress syndrome in infants and increasing pregnancy-induced hypertension due to malnutrition. Moreover, increasing incidences of premature labor and high-risk pregnancy in mothers would drive the Asian market towards future growth.
Many pharmaceutical companies and clinical trial institutes are constantly trying to come up with novel therapeutic development for the treatment of neonatal respiratory distress syndrome. Some of the leading players operating in the neonatal respiratory distress market are Chiesi Farmaceutici SpA, Discovery Laboratories, Inc., Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited, Auckland City Hospital, Menzies Research Institute and many others.
This research report analyzes this market on the basis of its market segments, major geographies, and current market trends. Geographies analyzed under this research report include
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of the World
This report provides comprehensive analysis of
- Market growth drivers
- Factors limiting market growth
- Current market trends
- Market structure
- Market projections for upcoming years
This report is a complete study of current trends in the market, industry growth drivers, and restraints. It provides market projections for the coming years. It includes analysis of recent developments in technology, Porter’s five force model analysis and detailed profiles of top industry players. The report also includes a review of micro and macro factors essential for the existing market players and new entrants along with detailed value chain analysis.
Reasons for Buying this Report
- This report provides pin-point analysis for changing competitive dynamics
- It provides a forward looking perspective on different factors driving or restraining market growth
- It provides a six-year forecast assessed on the basis of how the market is predicted to grow
- It helps in understanding the key product segments and their future
- It provides pin point analysis of changing competition dynamics and keeps you ahead of competitors
- It helps in making informed business decisions by having complete insights of market and by making in-depth analysis of market segments
- It provides distinctive graphics and exemplified SWOT analysis of major market segments