Energy saving and performance contracting (ESPC) is a type of financing for capital improvement in order to fund energy upgrades from the resultant cost reductions. In ESPC, an external Energy Saving Company (ESCO) implements a project to deliver energy efficiency and repay the costs of the project, which also includes the costs of the investment. In some cases, the ESCO implements a renewable energy project and the revenue from the cost savings is used to reimburse the cost of the project. Unless the project delivers energy savings as predicted, the ESCO does not receive its compensation.
Oil & gas restructuring is anticipated to drive market
Restructuring and liberalization of electricity and gas markets is expected to be the major driver for the energy saving and performance contracting market. The measures undertaken by private and public sector industries to mitigate climate change is another driver for the market. Lack of information related to energy efficiency and understanding of opportunities it offers is a restraint to the market. Lack of commercially sustainable and viable project financing within the banking sector due to their limited experience also restraints the market.
Energy Saving and Performance Contracting Market: Segmentation
The energy saving and performance contracting market can be segmented based on technology as:
- Combined Heat and Power (CHP), District heating (DH) refurbishment, and fuel switch
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Renewable Energy Sources (RES) utilization
- Lighting (indoor and street lighting)
- Others (gas distribution, compressed air, reactive power, process unit, and combustion improvement)
The combined heat and power segment has major share followed by the lighting segment.
The energy saving and performance contracting market can be segmented based on business contract models as:
- Shared savings contracting model
- Guaranteed savings contracting model
- Other contracting model
In shared savings contracting model, the ESCO finances, designs, and implements an energy saving project and verifies the energy savings. An agreed percentage of the energy savings is then shared with the customer over a fixed period. In some cases, the ESCO may receive the finances from a third party directly. In guaranteed savings contracting model, the ESCO designs and implements a project and guarantees energy savings. The ESCO covers the shortfall in case the energy savings are less than expected. ESCO may facilitate the finances itself or a third party provides the finances directly to the customer. Other contracting models include the chauffage contract, first-out contract, Build-Own-Operate-Transfer (BOOT) contract, and leasing contract.
The energy saving and performance contracting market can be segmented based on sector as:
The industrial sector has major share followed by the public sector.
Energy Saving and Performance Contracting: Region wise outlook
The guaranteed savings scheme is mostly preferred in developed regions like North America and Europe. Established banking structure and experience with financing of energy-efficiency projects is the major reason for adopting energy saving and performance contracts in these regions. The guaranteed savings concept is difficult to introduce and use in developing markets because it has an investment repayment risk. In Europe, the ‘chauffage’ contract is frequently used, where ESCO takes the responsibility of energy services such as space heat, lighting, and motive power. The chauffage contracts are 20-30 years long where the ESCO provides all associated maintenance and operation cost.
Energy Saving and Performance Contracting Market: Key Market Players
Some of the key players identified in the energy saving and performance contracting market are:
- Crowley Carbon Ltd.
- Candelas Ltd.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.
Note : All statements of fact, opinion, or analysis expressed in reports are those of the respective analysts. They do not necessarily reflect formal positions or views of Transparency Market Research.