Insect are often considered as pest for animals and crops. However they are fundamental part of nature and are a source of food at low cost. Insects are not merely famine food eaten at times of scarcity or situation when harvesting of conventional food becomes difficult. Edible insect as food and feed has emerged as agile issue due to rising cost of animal protein, food and feed insecurity, growing population and rising demand for protein among the middle class. The consumption of insects or entomophagy contributes to positive health and livelihood.
The edible insect market can be segmented by type as- Mealworm, Grasshoppers, Locusts, Caterpillar, Termites, Beetles and Others. Moreover it can also be segmented by application type such as- Human food, Animal feed (Poultry and Aquaculture) and Others. Geographically the market can be segmented as- North America, APAC, Europe and Rest of the World (RoW) regions.
Palatability of insect and presence of edible insects in local food culture are the driving forces which are shaping the global edible insects market. Moreover insects are rich source of protein and are low cost substitute for animal proteins. Lack of legal framework governing the insect consumption and deficit of networking and distribution channel among producers are the restraining factors hindering the growth of edible insects market. Moreover consumer awareness and negative perception about insect consumption is another growth barrier.
Asia- Pacific region has shown growth in edible insects sector. Countries such as China, Bangladesh, India, Malaysia and Sri Lanka contribute to this growth along with Africa (Rest of the World (RoW)). The global edible insect market is expected to grow over next six years with a significant growth rate.
Some of the key player of the edible insects market are- EnviroFlight, LLC, Kreca V.O.F., AgriProtein Technologies, Reese Finer Foods Inc, HaoCheng Mealworm Inc.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland, Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.